Saturday, October 20, 2018

Apple cutter enabled Hair raising moments!!

As I was passing through the customs check in Centrair, I was stopped to open up my bag. Having cleared hundreds in the last 2 decades, I was quirky at the fact but the young officer said you have some thing like a Apple cutter. I said exactly I have a apple cutter and removed it. The rest of the hard luggage was fine. 

I didn’t want to check-in for this apple cutter but questioned the officer the reason that this can’t be carried along. The customs rules are universal and there’s nothing he can say it’s specific for Japan. The officer tried to explain that the cutter has stainless steel blades which is not acceptable. In a natural instinct I asked the young guy if he was sure, he went towards the rule book and he was checking to be double sure. By this time, a supposedly senior guy came up , took a dump of the situation and then quickly helped him to go to respective sections. They found that if the blades are not removable then it’s acceptable to carry. This is similar to the razor that you can carry. The senior guy told that l can carry it along. 

He said I’m quite knowledgeable on this stuff. In a flow, I told him my dad has done this his entire career. The senior guy said that Indian customs guy are one of the best in the world in-terms of their acumen to catch only the culprits & not disturb others. The senior officer certainly had a deep loud voice which was kind of uncommon among the Japanese. He quickly replied that Japan is way behind to catch up though we have lots of technology.

I was pleasantly surprised at his observation though I didn’t munch more as my job was done. As I was putting my stuffs back into the bag & I walked out of the baggage screening, some where I felt proud more as an Indian & the so unsung heroes at the customs who really carry such high reputation among their peers globally was certainly amazing to hear. Certainly, their acumen is keeping us safe every day. Maybe the senior officer was just saying things in air or he said it with a deep knowledge and appreciation, it was certainly a hair raising moment to hear these appreciations & felt more proud for my dad & like men’s service.